South Cape Music Academy
THE SOUTH CAPE MUSIC ACADEMY
The South Cape Music Academy is located in George, Western Cape.
We aim to develop young musicians into outstanding performers.
The South Cape Music Academy is a registered non-profit, public benefit company that provides:
• Music lessons in several centres, in a variety of instruments, provided by a staff of qualified music teachers;
• Establishment and maintenance of new music centres in schools that require a variety of instrument training;
• Local, regional, national and international performance opportunities for individuals and groups;
• Cultural tourism and performance opportunities for local and international touring groups.
• Job creation and provision of music teachers as service providers for such centres;
• National competitions for choirs, bands, orchestras, drama and dance teams;
• Government-funded training projects, programmes and development initiatives.
The Glenwood House Music Academy, which provides 130 music pupils annual tuition in piano, guitar, violin, cello, drums, saxophone, clarinet, brass, recorder, voice and theory of music for pleasure or Trinity, ABRSM, UNISA music exams.
South Cape Childrens Choir
The acclaimed South Cape Children’s Choir, a regional children’s choir drawing auditioned singers from 14 schools in the region, is a division of the SCMA. The choir has won the World Choir Games 2014 Open Category, achieved 1st place (cum laude) at the European Festival of Music for Young People, won the ATKV Animato choral competition and was awarded the Kanna Prize for best musical production at the 2013 Klein Karoo National Arts Festival.
One of the SCMA’s cultural tourism projects, the annual “Cantamus!” Choir Festival and National Competition, was launched in 2015 in collaboration with South Cape Sport Tours and the George Municipality, and has drawn 35 choirs from schools all over South Africa, in its first two years. Participating choirs compete in a constructive competition for honours.
NEWS & ACTIVITIES
Young Women’s Chorus of San Fransisco
The South Cape Children's Choir and the Glenwood Marimba Band in concert with the Young Women's Chorus of San Fransisco.… Read More
Champions in concert
The South Cape Music Academy proudly presents Champions In Concert! Directed by Jan-Erik Swart The South Cape Children's Choir and… Read More
2017 CANTAMUS Choir Festival & Competition
The South Cape Sport Tours "Cantamus!" Choir Festival and competition is presented annually under the auspices of the George Municipality,… Read More
Director Of Music: Jan-Erik Swart
Jan-Erik Swart BA (Mus) HED (UNISA) M.Mus (NMMU) is the director of music
at the Glenwood House Academy of Music (George, Western Cape),
as well as the choral conductor of the acclaimed
South Cape Children's Choir (ATKV Animato South African
Children's Choir champions 2010 and KKNK Kanna
winner - best musical production:2013 )
as well as the George Male Voice Choir.
He has shared the stage with international performers
and groups from across the globe, including Dana Winner,
the Copenhagen Royal Children's Choir, the Ruamjai Youth Choir
and South African performer Chris Chameleon.